Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
The spinal column houses a large percentage of the central nervous system, so any damage to the spine can interfere with healthy sensation and movement. The spine can be fragile, suffering what may become long-term damage in even relatively minor accidents. Spinal injuries require the care of a seasoned specialist in this delicate area of the body, and such care can be costly. Spinal injury victims may have a right to seek much-needed money damages from the person responsible for these injuries. If you’ve suffered a spinal injury in New York, contact the Bronx personal injury lawyers at the Kohn Law Group for a consultation on your claims.
Causes of spine injuries
Research shows that roughly 11 million Americans have suffered a spinal injury at some point. These injuries can be life-altering and can occur for a broad number of reasons, including:
- On-the-job accidents: Workers on a construction site are at risk of experiencing many types of injury, but few are as devastating as spinal injuries. Accidents caused by ladder falls or scaffolding accidents can result in damage to the spine, leaving victims out of work for weeks or months at a time, if not permanently.
- Car accidents: Motor vehicle accidents are the most common cause of injuries to the spinal cord. Previously, safety researchers thought that spine injuries could only happen in high-speed crashes. However, more recent research shows that, even when cars are traveling at speeds as low as 25 mph, vehicle occupants can experience injuries to the spine.
- Sports injuries: Accidents on the field during play of a contact sport, such as rugby or football, are responsible for a large number of spine injuries among young people, as are diving accidents.
Symptoms of spinal injuries
Injuries to the spine don’t always result in paralysis. Spinal damage can seem subtle at first, such that victims may not even realize that they’ve suffered a spine injury in an accident. This is one reason why it is critical to see a doctor after any accident, so that you can begin to receive medical care for your injuries and establish a clear connection between the timing of your accident and the onset of any injuries. Signs of spinal injury can include:
- Tingling, pain, or weakness in the hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Loss of sensation in the extremities
- Loss of movement in any area of the body
- Inability to control the bladder or bowels
- Loss of sexual function
Get the Help You Need after a Serious Spinal Injury in the Bronx
Get experienced, effective, and aggressive legal help with your New York spinal injury claim by contacting the Bronx offices of the Kohn Law Firm for a free consultation on your claim at 718-409-1200.