What are the Causes of Construction Accidents?
Construction is one of the most dangerous professions in the U.S. Construction workers have one of the highest rates of worker fatalities. Thousands of construction workers are injured or killed on the job every year, and many civilians are injured on worksites when they walk, bike, or drive by or through construction sites. Read on to learn about the most common causes of construction accidents and contact a dedicated and knowledgeable Bronx construction accident lawyer for help after a New York construction accident.
Factors leading to construction accidents
A variety of factors cause construction accidents. Accidents may be the result of negligent behavior by workers or third-party contractors, or due to improper or inadequate safety precautions on the part of construction companies or supervisors.
Some of the most common factors leading to construction accidents include the following:
● Inadequate safety training by construction companies
● Failure to properly use safety devices by workers
● Loose debris, wires, or equipment strewn about construction sites that lead to slips, trips, and falls
● Missing guards or protections on power tools and other equipment
● Lack of helmets, temporary roofing, or other protections for people on the ground or lower levels
● Equipment and device malfunctions
● Lack of railings or other fall protection on elevated structures
● Unsafe property conditions and other safety code violations
● Scaffolding collapse
If you were hurt on a construction site because of these factors, you have a right to compensation. If you were a construction worker, you are entitled to workers’ compensation. If you were simply passing by the construction site, you might have a claim against the construction company, the property owner, or other parties involved in the construction. A dedicated construction accident attorney can help you recover.
Common types of construction accidents
Based on the above factors, there are a few types of accidents that are more common among construction workers. Some of the most common types of accidents that occur on construction sites include the following:
● Falls. Falls are the leading cause of construction worker death nationwide, including falls from a higher elevation, falls into holes, or dangerous slips, trips, and falls at ground level.
● Struck by object. Workers on construction sites are constantly at risk of being hit by tools, materials, equipment and other objects falling or rolling from a higher elevation, or by objects at ground level that are improperly secured (for example, vehicles parked without the use of parking brakes).
● Crushed/stuck in-between. Construction involves working around heavy equipment and other dangerous machinery. Many workers are pinched between two heavy objects, crushed in between a wall and a vehicle or piece of equipment, or they get a body part stuck in heavy machinery.
● Electrocution. Construction involves the use of dangerous powered machinery, as well as exposure to power lines and other electrical sources. Electrocution may be caused by wiring touching exposed skin or by other equipment such as metal ladders coming into contact with unseen or unguarded power sources.
If you or someone you love has been hurt on a construction site in New York, find out if you’re entitled to money damages for your injuries by contacting the seasoned and passionate personal injury lawyers at the Bronx offices of the Kohn Law Firm for a free consultation at 718-409-1200.